Steamer Schwan II
Skill Level: medium
Size (LxWxH): 290x50x120 mm (11x1x4 inch)
The steamer Schwan II was built in 1907 at Neptun shipyard in Rostock. Swan was a freight ship but also offered accommodations for 82 first and second class passengers. During first world war Schwan served as a blockade runner and had to 8.8 cm guns aboard.
|Manufacturer||HMV Hamburger Modellbaubogen Verlag|
|Sheet size||DIN A4|
|Parts without alternative parts||299|
|Length||290 mm (11.42 inch)|
|Width||50 mm (1.97 inch)|
|Height||120 mm (4.72 inch)|
|Bauanleitung||German, English, French, Spanish, Russian, Japanese, Pictures|
- Stapellauf: September 1907 als Baunummer 271, Neptunwerft, Rostock
- Indienststellung: November 1907
- Reederei: DG Argo AAAG, Bremen
- Klassifizierung: Fracht- und Passagierschiffe, Spardecker
- Länge: 73,50 m
- Breite: 11,00 m
- Verdrängung: 1.212 BRT
- Geschwindigkeit: 12 Kn
- Antrieb: Kolbendampfmaschine
- Leistung: 1.000 PS,
Steamer Schwan II corresponded to the highest class of the Germanischer Lloyd. The Schwan II had passenger chambers for the 1st and 2nd class and 82 seats in the tween deck. The maiden voyage took place in Novem ber 1907 to London. In the First World War the Schwan provided among other things their service on the Ems equipped with two 8.8 cm guns. After the war the steamer ran as a freighter again. She was stranded off the Norwegian coast and was badly damaged in 1920. After the shipping company had set up its steamer again she had to be handed over to the victorious powers in 1921. At the end of the same year it could be repurchased by the Argo. In 1938 the Schwan II was renamed to Pinguin. Under this name she provided the following services for the Kriegsmarine: 1939 pilot ship, from 1940 as a blocking pilot ship in various areas such as Wachflottille Western Baltic Sea. The steamer Pinguin was also involved in the evacuation measures in East Prussia 1944/45. She experienced the end of the war at the Lotsenkommando Wilhelmshaven.
The steamer Pinguin did not have to be delivered after the war. She was part of the 31 units which remained in Germany. After repairing the not insignificant damage and conversion in Cuxhaven 16 passengers could be transported from May 1948 onwards.
The Pinguin ran under the charter of the Schuldt / OPDR in the fruit trade in the Mediterranean from 1949. The ship was sold for demolition to Hamburg in April 1954. Here the track is lost. We do not know whether the steamer was really scrapped or still used.